I used to LOVE Shamrock Shakes. Along with Cadbury Easter Cream Egg Blizzards, these are the only MacDonald’s treats I would still look forward too long after I adopted clean eating. If you’ve ever checked out the nutritional information of one of these bad boys, it is enough to make you swear off fast food milkshakes forever. This infographic created by the Huffington Post highlights it all:
Since I do love a minty Shamrock Shake this time of year (I don’t like beer so green beer isn’t a treat for me!), I developed this healthy version full of real greens and no added sugar. Give it a try!
- 1 cup of milk (cow’s, almond, rice, etc.)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- 1 scoop vanilla Shakeology (or other vanilla flavoured meal replacement or protein powder)
- 1/2 banana, frozen
- 1 handful of baby spinach
- 4 ice cubes
- Place all ingredients except ice to blender and mix on high until smooth.
- Add ice and blend once more until completely smooth. Add more ice or milk to get it to your desired thickness.