We are now into the third month of 2015 and if you’ve been following along on LGF’s Facebook page, it’s time for a new habit. In honour of the greenest month (think spring and St. Patrick’s Day — not of the white stuff that is still covering our lawns!), the habit we are going to work on for the next four weeks is eating our green, leafy vegetables.
Leafy greens are a power-house of nutrition. Calorie for calorie, they are the most concentrated source of nutrients found in any food. Here’s a quick run-down of some of their many benefits:
- reduces inflammation
- preserves vision and eye health
- help keeps us hydrated due to high water content
- supports the regeneration of cells to slow the effects of aging
- improves blood circulation
- boosts bone health due to calcium
- lowers bad cholesterol and high blood pressure
- improves digestion and healthy gut flora
- linked to a decreased risk of colon cancer
- freshens breath due to chlorophyll
- improves immunity
You likely have heard of some of these benefits and know you should be eating your greens. Stay tuned this month as I will give you tips, tricks, and recipes for including leafy greens in your daily diet.
What’s you favourite way to eat your greens?