I came up with this recipe last winter when I was craving something warm and comforting…we had a cold winter! It is a nice, thick stew filled with shredded chicken. I like to make this on Sundays to have lunches on-hand for the week.
1 onions, chopped
4c potatoes (with skin), chopped
4 carrots, chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped
2c sliced mushrooms
12-15 chicken thighs
4 c chicken broth
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup **or see clean, home-made substitute below
1 t dried thyme
1 t herbs de provence (or marjoram)
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
2 bay leaves
- Layer first 6 ingredients, in order given, in slow cooker.
- Combine next 6 ingredients in medium bowl. Pour over chicken. Add bay leaves. Do not stir. Cover. Cook on low 8-10 hrs, or high 4-5 hrs.
- Remove and discard bay leaves. Combine second amount of broth with starch in small bowl and whisk until smooth. Add to slow cooker. Stir. Add peas if using. Stir well. Cover and cook on high for 15-20 mins more until peas are heated through and sauce is thickened.
- Melt butter. Stir in flour and mix.
- Slowly add in broth and milk, stirring constantly until combined and thick. Bring to a boil, adding in seasonings and stirring constantly until thick.